Xenophobia: LHR hails MP’s apology

5 Jul 2011

On Sunday, the ANC chief whip’s office said Maunye had “carefully reflected” on the comments, which might have been construed to be xenophobic, and had recognised “that her views, although not so intended, may have run counter to the letter and spirit of ANC policies”.

She realised her remarks might have been insensitive to the plight of many African foreigners who were here legitimately or because of hardships in their countries.

“Comrade Maunye deeply regrets the comments and unconditionally apologises for the harm they may have caused,” the statement read.

This was only after Lawyers for Human Rights said on Friday it was unacceptable that the chairwoman of the portfolio committee monitoring implementation of international human rights obligations could take such an uninformed and blatantly xenophobic view of contributions made by foreigners in building a modern South Africa.

“This is particularly discouraging considering these comments were made by a senior member of Parliament whose duty it is to uphold the law,” the group said in its statement.

“These unfortunate comments have come at a time of increased tension across Gauteng and memories of the 2008 violence where foreign nationals were targeted for violence and destruction of their property.”

The group said Maunye would do better to scrutinise mismanagement of the Department of Home Affairs’ asylum management directorate during the 11 years that the Refugees Act had been in place.

On Monday, the group said it was happy with the apology.

“It was very serious for a portfolio committee chair to make such xenophobic comments,” spokeswoman Kaajal Ramjathan-Keogh said

 

By POLITICAL BUREAU