IFP Youth: We Didn't Mean It
12 Jun 2009
IFP youth apologised "unreservedly" on Friday for calling on party president Mangosuthu Buthelezi to step down.
"We apologise for the harm that may have been caused to the IFP president's legacy," they said in a statement, describing media coverage "attributed" to the IFP Youth Brigade as "untruthful".
The entire KwaZulu-Natal IFP Youth Brigade leadership was suspended in May after it agitated for a change in the party's leadership.
It was lobbying for Buthelezi to be removed during the party's elective conference in Ulundi in July this year.
The youth wing blamed senior leaders for the IFP's poor showing in last month's general elections.
"As the district leaders, we want to reassure our president and our party of our support and we are thankful for all the good work he has done for the party," the IFP Youth Brigade said on Friday.
Suspended youth brigade leaders from all 11 districts in the province met in Durban on Wednesday to discuss the suspensions and the recent media coverage of the brigade.
They distanced themselves from the statements which led to the suspensions.
They also chose two people to represent them at the party's two crucial leadership meetings in Ulundi: IFP Umkhanyakude district chairperson Makhosonke Sithole and Uthukela district chairperson Bhishi Mdakane.