Boys who made sex video may be expelled
7 Nov 2011
Casey said the head of department would make the final decision on whether the pupils should be expelled.
The pupils were arrested last month after a cellphone video clip was shown around the school.
The boys, aged 16, 17 and 18, were found guilty of serious misconduct in a school disciplinary hearing, but continued to attend school pending a final decision from the department.
The oldest boy is writing his matric exams.
Statutory rape
Two of the boys allegedly had sex with a 15-year-old girl while the third filmed them.
They will appear in the Oudtshoorn Magistrate’s Court on December 2 on charges of statutory rape.
A fourth boy, also 17, will appear on charges of manufacturing and distributing child pornography.
There were reportedly two incidents, one in May and another in September, on the hostel grounds and at the De Jager sporting complex.
Oudtshoorn police spokesperson Louis Visser told the Cape Times newspaper that teachers had heard about the sex video and informed the girl’s parents, who laid the charges.
Police said the cellphone had been confiscated and sent for forensic testing.
"We want to bring it to the children’s attention that statutory rape is a serious complaint," Visser said.
"Even if the girl gave her permission [to have sex and to be filmed], it remains a criminal offence."